Home / Broken Leg Compensation

Broken Leg Compensation

Can I claim broken leg compensation if I was the victim of a hit and run driver? I was hit by a car while crossing the road, but it sped away before I could obtain insurance or contact details. Is there any way to make a claim?

Even if the driver responsible for causing an accident cannot be found, it is possible to claim broken leg compensation – however the procedure will be slightly different. There are numerous reasons why a driver may have fled the scene of the accident they created. There is a possibility that they were not insured to pay for the damage caused, or perhaps they wished to escape a criminal prosecution. Either way, it is a criminal offence to leave the scene of an accident without first exchanging insurance or contact details, and for this reason the police will have great interest in tracing the negligent driver.

There are several ways to trace the driver who should be liable for your broken leg compensation. CCTV or roadside cameras may have captured the accident occurring. There is the possibility that witnesses to your accident may have acquired details of the negligent driver. Even any details you have gathered – such as a partial licence plate number – may be helpful. If the driver is found and insured, your compensation claim may proceed in the usual manner. However it is possible that the driver will be found but uninsured or that despite the best efforts of the police, the driver will remain undetected.

If this is the case, broken leg compensation may be claimed against the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB). The MIB was established to act as a source of compensation for uninsured drivers. However this does not mean that because you were the victim of a hit and run, you will be automatically entitled to compensation. The negligence of the other driver must first be proven, and reassurance given that they cannot be traced by the police. It is also important to bear in mind that the MIB is funded by insurance companies, and for this reason they may not be willing to reward compensation easily.

Because of this, you are advised to consult a personal injury* solicitor if you are dealing with the MIB. A solicitor can represent the claim on your behalf, guide you through the process of seeking compensation and answer any questions you may have. For this reason, you are advised to consult a personal injury* solicitor at the earliest opportunity if you believe you have a valid claim for broken leg compensation.